How to connect to Gmail
Adding a mail server
To allow for logging into Gmail accounts, add a new mail server in admin area, specify gmail.com domain for it, and make sure the following mail server details are supplied:
- Incoming mail: imap.gmail.com Port 993, Use SSL
- Outgoing mail: smtp.gmail.com Port 465, Use SSL
You also need to make sure IMAP access is allowed in your Gmail account configuration, see Forwarding and POP/IMAP section of account settings.
Disabling authentication with email password
According to this page, as of May 30, 2022 Google is disabling username/password based access to Gmail accounts so it may no longer be possible for you to access Gmail account with WebMail Lite using your email address and account password. And there is an option to log into your account using app password.
Using app password
While Gmail restricts the use of your email account password for authentication purposes, you can create an app password to be used with WebMail Lite.
- First of all, you need to enable 2-Step Verification in your Google account settings.
It is required, as Google only allows generating passwords for apps on accounts that have 2-Step Verification enabled.
- Navigate to App Password section of your Google account security page and generate app password.
Select "Mail" as app type, "Other" as device and provide an app name - it will only be used as a display name for password in Google.
- Once the password is created, simply use it instead of mail account password when logging into Gmail.